NAF’s legal interns work on legal issues impacting abortion providers, and some state/federal abortion policy as that work arises. Projects vary, but legal internships at NAF typically include significant legislative and regulatory research at the federal, state, and local level, and writing related thereto. Often, legal interns also have the opportunity to draft a comment or testimony on NAF’s behalf, though that depends on the legal and policy landscape during the time interns spend at NAF. Legal interns will build legal research skills and gain a better understanding both of the legal landscape in which abortion care is provided in the U.S., and of the legal needs of abortion providers.
- Performing legal research
- Drafting memoranda, fact sheets, issue papers, and alerts
- Assisting in other policy and legal projects as needed
- Demonstrated pro-choice commitment
- One or more years of law school
- Coursework in constitutional law
- School year: The time commitment is flexible, but must be consistent and communicated in advance. Modest stipend available.