Position Summary: The Media Manager will play a critical role in NAF’s internal and external communications. The ideal candidate will have experience developing and implementing media outreach strategies, be comfortable and successful at pitching to reporters and other media professionals and be a social media superstar.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Cultivates and strengthens relationships with reporters, editors, producers, bloggers, and other media professionals to increase NAF’s visibility and ensure the voices of abortion providers and women who choose abortion are included in public debates.
- Develops and pitches story ideas, responds to press inquiries, and arranges interviews for senior NAF staff and members.
- Develops and executes successful short and long-term media outreach strategies.
- Prepares, reviews, and copyedits press releases, op/eds, letters to the editor, and other communications materials.
- Manages all aspects of our social media, including developing and implementing coordinated campaigns; provides communications support and guidance to NAF members.
- Oversees NAF’s Patient Partnership program, which helps women who have chosen abortion share their stories with the media, legislators, and the public.
- Assists in media training of abortion providers and patients, including messaging and interview preparation and manage process for collecting daily news clips.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Qualifications, Knowledge, and Skills Required:
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, journalism, or related field preferred.
- Three (3) to Five (5) years of experience working in media relations and communications experience, with a proven ability to pitch and place stories.
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills; strong writing and editing skills, ability to produce original, clear, concise talking points, press releases, and letters to the editor within tight deadlines.
- Strong copyediting skills and attention to detail.
- Demonstrated ability to handle multiple tasks and meet deadlines.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a very collaborative team.
- Proficiency with social media platforms, including Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter.
- Proficiency in MS Office Suite applications (Excel, PowerPoint, Word, Outlook).
- Ability to travel as needed.
- Normal demands associated with an office environment.
- Ability to work on computer for prolonged periods, communicate with individuals by telephone, e-mail and face to face.
- Travel may be required.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by the individual(s) assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, and skills required. Management reserves the right to modify, add, or remove duties and to assign other duties as necessary. In addition, reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this position.