South East Regional Security Consultant
The National Abortion Federation (NAF), the leading pro-choice organization representing abortion providers and their patients, has an immediate full-time opening for the position of South East Regional Security Manager.
The National Abortion Federation (NAF) is the professional association of abortion providers in North America. NAF is a 501 (c)(3) organization dedicated to ensuring that abortion is safe, legal, and accessible. Our dynamic and innovative programs span a wide range of services designed to meet the unique needs of abortion providers and patients. Our members include clinics, hospitals and physicians’ offices in the United States, Canada, Mexico City and South America.
The Security Manager (a) oversees the security policies and procedures for NAF members located in Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, Florida, South Carolina and North Carolina, and (b) works with members and local, state, and federal law enforcement officials to prevent and respond to incidents of violence and disruption aimed at NAF members within the designated region.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide on-site safety and security trainings and security assessments for members and provide written reports and recommendations regarding physical facilities as well as written security policies and procedures. This includes residential assessments; *
- Track the activities of anti-choice extremists and provide this information to members, NAF security staff and law enforcement officials to enhance members’ security;
- Travel to areas of planned anti-choice demonstrations to document activities, liaise with law enforcement officials, and provide security and support to clinics;
- Maintain e-mail and phone communications with members to answer a wide variety of security questions; *
- In coordination with the Senior Director and Director, assist with incident response planning and implementation;
- Respond if an act of violence is directed at one of our members. Work with members and local, state, and federal law enforcement regarding incidents of violence. Conduct preliminary damage assessments and provides other security support to members;*
- Work in coalition with other pro-choice security personnel;
- Stay informed about applicable laws and regulations and be knowledgeable regarding current trends in the security industry;
- Provide security support and emergency assistance for NAF members in MS, AL, GA, FL, SC, and NC;*
- Convene and participate in community law enforcement briefings with clinic staff and law enforcement officials to review current anti-abortion activities and trends and ensure appropriate law enforcement response;*
- Disseminate timely and tailored information about local and regional anti-abortion activities to our members and the NAF Security team;
- Conduct onsite security trainings for clinic staff;*
- Share threats, criminal activities, and other relevant information with law enforcement officials for investigation and prosecution;
- Monitor, document, and provide assistance to NAF members during major anti-abortion events;*
- Work with NAF’s outside security firm to monitor anti-abortion posts and comments made on websites, blogs, and social media platforms for possible threats against abortion providers in the Southeast; and
- Document the rates of anti-abortion threats, criminal activities, and violence in the region through the monthly collection of our violence and disruption statistics.
Qualifications, Knowledge, and Skills Required
- Demonstrated commitment to reproductive choice;
- At least 10 years law enforcement and/or security experience, preferably with experience working with reproductive health facilities;
- ASIS Certified Protection Professional (CPP) preferred, college degree preferred.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills;
- Outstanding analytical ability;
- Strong organizational skills; and
- Working knowledge of word processing, database, and web-based applications.
- Normal demands associated with an office environment;
- Ability to work on computer for prolonged periods, communicate with individuals by telephone, e-mail, video conference, and face to face;
- Travel is required.*
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by the individual(s) assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, and skills required. Management reserves the right to modify, add, or remove duties and to assign other duties, as necessary. In addition, reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this position.
*Travel is contingent on the current COVID-19 epidemic and CDC standards and recommendations. Travel may be restricted/limited and conducted virtually in some cases.