The National Abortion Federation is currently recruiting qualified, pro-choice candidates. NAF is an equal opportunity employer and all positions are located in Washington, DC, except as noted below.
The NAF Hotline Fund is a 501 (c)(3) organization dedicated to providing accurate, unbiased reproductive health care information to people from diverse backgrounds and to providing callers with confidential consultation and referrals to providers of quality abortion care. The Hotline Fund also provides case management services to people navigating significant barriers and information about pregnancy and abortion. The Hotline provides services in English, Spanish, and French.
Hotline Intake Counselors are vital to the mission of NAF’s Hotline Fund and make a direct impact in the organization. If you are dedicated for advocacy of women’s reproductive rights, then this position may be for you!
Hotline Intake Counselors manage calls for patients looking to receive confidential consultation and referrals to providers of quality abortion care. Regular shifts include a mixture of morning (7am-3pm) and day (11am-7pm) or evening (3pm-11pm), including 2 weekend days on a rotating basis. Priority will be given to evening shift applicants.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Respond to callers in compliance with NAF Hotline Fund training, rules, and protocols and NAF Hotline Fund employee policies
- Provide short term counseling to callers around issues such as pregnancy options, rape, and domestic violence
- Communicate with various levels of NAF staff, patients and their families and/or abortion providers
- Provide referrals and resources to callers for other social services, such as hunger, public benefits, health insurance, homelessness, etc.
- Complete weekly data entry
- Complete monthly call tracking
- Answer phone calls as needed
- Performs other duties as assigned
Qualifications, Knowledge, and Skills Required:
- Experience working collaboratively with patients and their families, abortion providers, staff, and other organizations across all levels of management
- Demonstrated commitment to a women’s reproductive rights and understanding of women’s complex social and financial situations
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook) and databases
- Excellent written and verbal communication including over the phone
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment
- Commitment to a person’s right to choose abortion and understanding of the complex social and financial situations of people seeking assistance
- Flexibility with work hours
- Spanish/French language skills
- Crisis counseling/trauma support and intervention/resource management
- Normal demands associated with an office environment
- Ability to work on computer for prolonged periods, communicate with individuals by telephone, e-mail and face to face
- Travel may be required
Attached with a submitted resume, please address in the cover letter:
- Your demonstrated commitment to a person’s right to choose abortion and understanding of person’s complex social and financial situations.
Salary is competitive with similar entry level positions in the public interest sector. The NAF Hotline Fund offers an excellent benefits package.
The NAF Hotline Fund is an equal opportunity employer and desires to build a strong diverse staff that is inclusive of race, gender/gnc, ethnicity, class, religion, sexual orientation, physical ability and age. The position is located in Washington, DC, and will remain open until filled.